A Brief History
|Historic Photo Archive Burnley Gardens Today|
|The site of Burnley
College began as the Richmond Survey Paddock in 1850. The Horticultural
Society of Victoria took control in 1863 and opened the gardens on January
1, 1863, the official opening being marked by the planting of a Californian
Redwood (Sequoia sempervirens) which is now a magnificent tree.
The site was transferred to the Victorian Department of Agriculture in 1891 and the gardens became home to the new teaching college. In subsequent years, the college has taught not only production and ornamental horticulture but many areas of agriculture: Burnley has been home to a dairy herd, poultry trials and beehives.
Burnley College now specialises in environmental horticulture and resource management. Facilities include a specialist library, plant nursery, field research and demonstration area, graphics studio, horticultural engineering facilities and plant tissue and genetics laboritories.
Today, 150 years after the Burnley Gardens were established they continue to be a wonderful resourse for students and visitors alike. The open lawns, curved paths, secluded areas and large conifers providing architectural form combine to make a classic Victorian Garden. Recent developments such as the Native Grasslands Garden and the Rainforest Garden have provided new design themes for the gardens.
The importance of the Burnley Gardens to the State of Victoria was recognized when the gardens were added to the Victorian Heritage Register on 5 December 2003.